We can see from our social media feed that a lot of y'all are baking your way through this pandemic. Today we got an email from a customer who remembered that our co-op used to make in-house cupcakes (literally 7 years ago!) and wondered if maybe we'd be willing to share the recipe for their favorite lavender orange variety. I dug around in our archives and was surprised to find it! So here it is for everyone out there who needs a vegan baking project. <3
ORANGE LAVENDER CUPCAKES
Makes twelve cupcakes
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon arrowroot
1 tablespoon lavender flowers
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1+ cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Steep the lavender flowers in scalding hot water for 15 minutes. Then combine 1 cup of the infused water with the remaining wet ingredients and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then gently stir in the wet mix.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter and bake for approximately 14 minutes on the center rack of the oven, rotating after 7 minutes. When done, a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and top with chocolate chips (optional).
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine (we use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (we use Tofutti)
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar to remove clumps.
- Combine the sugar with all other ingredients in a mixer and beat until smooth. For a stiffer frosting, add an additional 1/2 cup powdered sugar.